Midnight Mayhem Returns to Motor Speedway - 8 News NOW

Midnight Mayhem Returns to Motor Speedway

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS - Its goal is to take dangerous racing off Las Vegas streets and move it into a safe environment. Midnight Mayhem returns at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway Friday night.

Dozens of cars will take to the speedway - hitting top speeds of more than 100 miles per hour on a quarter-mile track.

Midnight Mayhem provides the thrill of street racing and crowds of people cheering in a safe, controlled environment.

Security and paramedics are on-hand for the events. Professionals inspect the cars to ensure they are in proper working order. While betting is encouraged, drinking is not allowed.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway President Chris Powell says they've provided Midnight Mayhem for fourteen years. They know it's a successful night when there are no deaths on the roads from illegal street racing.

"We've had a problem over time in the valley with racing, street racing and terrible tragedies that have happened to those who have been involved in the racing as well as innocent people who are on the highways," he said.

Illegal street racing has produced deadly results in the valley. Last year, a 19-year-old and a 21-year-old were killed after hitting a median on Centennial Center Boulevard.

In another incident, a 21-year-old died after hitting a pole on Maryland Parkway near Mesquite Avenue.

Valley roads have been dangerous in 2013. Sixteen people have died in traffic accidents since January 1st. None of those was related to racing. Last year, southern Nevada averaged approximately one deadly accident every other day.

Midnight Mayhem starts Friday night at 7 p.m. The cost is $15 per vehicle.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.