Las Vegas Home Occupied by Squatters Goes Up in Flames - 8 News NOW

Las Vegas Home Occupied by Squatters Goes Up in Flames

Posted: Updated:
Photo Credit: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Photo Credit: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Authorities say a vacant Las Vegas home that had apparently been taken over by squatters went up in flames overnight.

Firefighters who responded to the home on Las Verdes Street, near Sahara Avenue, a little before 10 p.m. Tuesday say flames were so intense that they had to fight the blaze from outside before they could get in.

No injuries were reported, although crews say a cat perished in the fire. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says the inside of the home was filled with trash and debris apparently left over from squatters.

The house had been locked and boarded up for more than a year, but neighbors reported people frequently came and went from it.

Szymanski says squatters cooking or smoking may be to blame.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.