Changes Planned After Vegas Marathon Illness Probe - 8 News NOW

Changes Planned After Vegas Marathon Illness Probe

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- After health officials investigated a stomach illness following last year's Las Vegas Rock `n' Roll Marathon and Half-Marathon, organizers are promising several changes to this year's races -- including strict sanitation rules and a contractor supplying water to runners.

The Southern Nevada Health District never conclusively identified the source of Sapovirus outbreak reported by more than 500 of the 44,000 race participants a year ago.

A health district investigation determined that people were probably exposed to the virus the morning before the race -- maybe at a runners' expo where race numbers were distributed.

Water distribution during the race had been suspected.

This year's race is Sunday evening on the Las Vegas Strip, and Competitor Group officials say this year's 30,000-plus participants will notice the changes that have been planned.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • BREAKING NEWS: North Las Vegas Police investigate double shooting, one dead

    BREAKING NEWS: North Las Vegas Police investigate double shooting, one dead

    Saturday, April 19 2014 12:49 AM EDT2014-04-19 04:49:04 GMT
    North Las Vegas, NV. --North Las Vegas police are investigating a double shooting Friday night shortly before 8 p.m.Investigators said two men were shot at a home on Arbor Crest Street, near East Tropical Parkway and Donna Street.A 60-year-old man was taken to UMC Trauma with his condition unknown at this time. The second victim, a 37-year-old man, sustained non-life threatening injuries and treated on scene.Police are investigating the shooting as a domestic violence incident.More>>
    North Las Vegas, NV. --North Las Vegas police are investigating a double shooting Friday night shortly before 8 p.m.Investigators said two men were shot at a home on Arbor Crest Street, near East Tropical Parkway and Donna Street.A 60-year-old man was taken to UMC Trauma with his condition unknown at this time. The second victim, a 37-year-old man, sustained non-life threatening injuries and treated on scene.Police are investigating the shooting as a domestic violence incident.More>>
  • BREAKING NEWS: UMC lays off 100 employees

    BREAKING NEWS: UMC lays off 100 employees

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:52 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:52:41 GMT
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.