Former SEAL Killed in Libya Attack a Henderson Resident - 8 News NOW

Former SEAL Killed in Libya Attack a Henderson Resident

Posted: Updated:
Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, 41, was among those killed in Libya Wednesday. Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, 41, was among those killed in Libya Wednesday.
Tyrone Woods with his wife Dorothy. Tyrone Woods with his wife Dorothy.

LAS VEGAS -- One of the four Americans killed in the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya on Wednesday had recently moved to the Las Vegas valley.

Tyrone Snowden Woods, 41, was a retired Navy SEAL senior chief petty officer, according to the U.S. Navy. He was providing security at the consulate, according to the State Department.

A neighbor confirmed Woods lived in Henderson, Nev. According to the State Department, Woods is survived by his wife, Dorothy and his three sons, Tyrone Jr., Hunter and Kai, who was born a few months ago.

Woods, known as "Rone" to colleagues and friends, served as a SEAL for over two decades, deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan for multiple tours.

According to the State Department, Woods had protected American diplomatic personnel "in dangerous posts from Central America to the Middle East."

"He had the hands of a healer as well as the arm of a warrior, earning distinction as a registered nurse and certified paramedic," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.

In a statement, U.S. Rep. Shelley Berkley said Woods died "defending the country he bravely served for over two decades in uniform.

"It is the selfless service of patriots like Tyrone that safeguards the freedoms we enjoy as Americans. While authorities continue working to bring those responsible for the senseless deaths of Tyrone and the other three Americans killed in Libya to justice, all Nevadans will be keeping Tyrone and his loved ones in our thoughts and prayers."

The State Department also identified another former SEAL, Glen Doherty, as among those killed in the attack.

Previously identified as among those killed were Chris Stevens, the American ambassador to Libya, and Air Force veteran Sean Smith. 

Three diplomats were also injured in the attack and are being treated at an American military hospital in Germany. One of the two most seriously wounded is expected to leave the intensive care unit on Thursday.

A State Department status report obtained by The Associated Press said the third injured staffer is awake and alert at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center near Ramstein Air Base, where 33 uninjured consulate personnel are staying and receiving military counseling. All were evacuated from Benghazi early Wednesday and arrived in Germany late that afternoon along with the remains of the four diplomats.

According to the report, the injured staffers "are doing relatively well" and most want to return to Libya.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.