Metro Releases Reports on 3 Officer-Involved Shootings - 8 News NOW

Metro Releases Reports on 3 Officer-Involved Shootings

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS --  Metro Police have released their findings on three officer-related shootings that happened in April 2011. In all three, Metro found the actions of the officers warranted.

District Attorney Steve Wolfson released his decisions, on these cases, last month saying the deadly shootings were "reasonable and lawful."

Today, Metro released detailed reports on the following shootings:

• On April 3, 2011, police responded to an apartment on the 2800 block of East Charleston Boulevard where Michael Chevalier had allegedly taken a woman hostage and was assaulting her. When police arrived, they saw the injured woman and Chevalier, who had a gun. During the ensuing standoff, Chevalier shot at officers and threatened to kill himself and the woman. Early the next morning, police stormed the apartment. Police say Chevalier shot at them and used the woman as a shield. An officer shot and killed Chevalier. Metro's report concluded the actions of Officer Aaron Perez and SWAT Sgt. Michael Quick were "reasonable and legally justified."

• On April 12, 2011, police were called to a home on the 3900 block of Grand Meadow Street because of a suicidal man with a gun. When police arrived they found Abdul Hamlan inside a garage, crying. According to police, Hamlan said, "just go ahead and shoot me then," before aiming his gun at the officers. Officers say Hamlan was shot when he did not follow commands to drop his weapon. Metro's report concluded Officers Gregory Watkins and Roberto Henderson took appropriate action.

• On April 19, 2011, Metro Police attempted to pull over the driver of a car on Flamingo Avenue near Cambridge Street because the car's rear tail light was not working. According to police, the driver ran a red light and sped towards the Las Vegas Strip. Police used a PIT maneuver to stop the car. Police say, David Paul Gonzalez exited the car and fired a gun at them. Metro's report concluded Officer Patrick Burke acted in self-defense.

The coroner's inquest process remains at an impasse after police sued over new requirements passed in 2010 by the Clark County Commission considered more favorable to victims' families. The last coroner's inquest was held in September 2010. The cases are being reviewed by the District Attorney's Office.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
  • Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:48:54 GMT
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
  • Coroner's office identifies 2-year-old hit by car

    Coroner's office identifies 2-year-old hit by car

    Saturday, April 19 2014 5:44 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:44:02 GMT
    The coroner's office has released the name of the little girl struck and killed by a car this week.More>>
    The coroner's office has released the name of the little girl struck and killed by a car this week.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.