3 Children Dead In Mobile Home Fire - 8 News NOW

3 Children Dead In Mobile Home Fire

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS -- Three young children were discovered dead in a mobile home fire on the 3600 block of N. Las Vegas Boulevard near Lamb Boulevard. The fire started around 10:20 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from two mobile homes, and were told there were people trapped inside one of the homes. A security guard saw the plume of dark black smoke and called for help.

SLIDESHOW: 3 Children Dead In Mobile Home Fire

Darlene Jones says her 2-year-old grandson David lived in the mobile home with his father, Shane, and his girlfriend and her two children.

"It was total shock and panic because I couldn't be there and I can never hold him again. I had the opportunity yesterday and I missed out on it," said Jones.

Neighbors say the scene was chaos when smoke and flames began shooting from the mobile home. The parents escaped but the three kids were trapped inside.

"My husband tried to jump through back window. He has burns all over his hands. He tried to jump through but it was too late, they were just beyond help," said neighbor Sheilla Robbins.

Neighbors say they could hear the children screaming but there was nothing they could do.

"All the kids were found together, huddling trying to protect each other," said Robbins.

Fire officials say the family was sleeping when the fire broke out. They say when they woke up and saw what was happening and immediately tried rescuing their children. Multiple attempts were unsuccessful and they were left with no choice but to get out of the mobile home.

Witnesses say people tried breaking the back window to save the kids, and others even used garden hoses to try and stop the fire, but it was just too intense.

It took 55 firefighters to finally put the fire out. The Red Cross is offering aid to anyone here that needs it. 

As night fell, Metro homicide detectives combed over the charred scene, making sure nothing was overlooked. Fire officials say the home didn't have working smoke detectors.

The two parents were taken to University Medical Center with minor injuries.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.