LAS VEGAS -- A program that helps homeless youth in southern Nevada will continue to receive all of its grant money from Clark County. The county commission voted Tuesday to continue to give the charity $214,000.
The commission considered cutting the funding for Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth after its founder Kathleen Vermillion was accused of misappropriations of funds. Vermillion is no longer affiliated with the group, but the accusations and her very public break up with County Commissioner Steve Sisolak tarnished the nonprofit's image. Sisolak abstained from Tuesday's vote.
Executive director Arash Ghafoori said cuts in funding would have meant fewer services for kids in need of help. Ghafoori says the vote will keep his group's services going.
"The funding is in intact and we worked with the county to make some minor adjustments here and there to more accurately reflect how we spend the money," Ghafoori said.
A decision on funding was suppose to happen two weeks ago, but Commissioner Chris Giunchigliani asked for a two-week extension. During those two weeks, the executive director and chairmen of the board met with Giunchigliani and other commissioners to break down how the money was used.
The county audited the nonprofit last month. It did not find any evidence that funding had been spent inappropriately.