LAS VEGAS -- The Southern Nevada Health District has received reports that three people who stayed at the Luxor Resort have been diagnosed with Legionnaires' disease. One of those people died this month.
The first two cases were reported in the spring of 2011. According to the health district, after the first two cases, an environmental assessment was done at the hotel that involved collecting water samples but those samples did not detect the bacteria.
During testing in December, the bacteria was found in the resort's water. The Luxor, owned by MGM Resorts International, began an immediate remediation procedure.
"We are saddened by the news of the death of a former customer," MGM Resorts International said in a news release. "Luxor has had a comprehensive water management program since 2008. Treatment involves superheating super-chlorination of the water system."
Legionnaires' disease is a form of pneumonia. Symptoms include high fever, chills, cough, muscle aches and headaches. Testing is needed to confirm a diagnosis. Symptoms usually occur within two to 14 days after exposure. Guests who stayed at the Luxor recently and believe they are having symptoms should consult a doctor. The disease can be treated with antibiotics.