Bars, Casinos Offer Off-Strip Options for New Year's Eve - 8 News NOW

Bars, Casinos Offer Off-Strip Options for New Year's Eve

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS - New Year's Eve is the biggest night of the year for Las Vegas Boulevard. Hundreds of thousands of people will pack the 4.2-mile Strip to usher in 2012.

The packed and festive atmosphere that attracts so many people here year after year, however, is exactly what others want to avoid.

Scottie Godino owns Born and Raised Tavern and Lounge near Buffalo Drive and Warm Springs Road. The bar's distance from the Strip and downtown is one of its selling points for locals who wish to avoid the crowds New Year's Eve.

View a List of New Year's Eve Events

"The mayhem, it's great, but it's a crazy party down there… We're trying to alleviate the stress of people having to drive down there. They can come here," Godino said. "We had a party last year. It was pretty successful. I think we give an option that most don't. It feels like a lounge feel where you can kind of hang with the people, have a good time, get dressed up, be in an appropriate place and not have to deal with the Strip."

Born and Raised expects 100 to 150 people Saturday night. The bar will offer bottle specials, a DJ and complimentary champagne at midnight.

New Year's Eve revelers can choose from a number of local bars and taverns throughout the valley. If you wish to party at a casino, you actually have more options off the Strip than on it. The Cannery, Sam's Town, and M Resort are among the many casinos throwing parties this holiday weekend.

"It's a lot of work. The biggest challenge is the banquets. A lot of the banquet staff in town work at multiple properties, and it takes a lot of work to be able to put together the staff and make sure we have the adequate staff," said M Resort General Manager Jody Lake.

This is the M's third New Year's Eve since it opened. The casino offers free entertainment and plenty of space for both locals and tourists.

"It's a great crowd for us, great level of energy, a lot of excitement, and it's the busiest night of the year by far," Lake said.

For those who wish to stay home New Year's Eve, 8 News NOW will have live coverage of the New Year's Eve festivities beginning at 10 p.m.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • State finds adults changed student answers on tests at Kelly Elementary

    State finds adults changed student answers on tests at Kelly Elementary

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:32 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:32:56 GMT
    LAS VEGAS -- The state says that one or more adults at Kelly Elementary School changed answer sheets on standardized test given in spring 2012. More>>
    The state says that one or more adults at Kelly Elementary School changed answer sheets on standardized test given in spring 2012. However, they have not been able to determine which individual or individuals did it.More>>
  • Gloria Lee Pleads 'Not Guilty' in most recent charges

    Gloria Lee Pleads 'Not Guilty' in most recent charges

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 2:22 PM EDT2014-04-16 18:22:26 GMT
    LAS VEGAS -- The woman accused of setting fire to her pet store pleaded not guilty to charges of insurance fraud. Gloria Lee appeared in Clark County District Court Wednesday morning. She was indictedMore>>
    The woman accused of setting fire to her pet store pleaded not guilty to charges of insurance fraud.More>>
  • Nevada Supreme Court removes Schaefer from ballot

    Nevada Supreme Court removes Schaefer from ballot

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 6:07 PM EDT2014-04-16 22:07:34 GMT
    CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) -- The Nevada Supreme Court has upheld the removal of a state controller candidate from the June primary ballot because of his residency status.Justices unanimously agreed with a lower court ruling that Democratic candidate John Michael Schaefer is not qualified to run for the constitutional office.The secretary of state's office challenged Schaefer's eligibility after obtaining information that he was registered to vote in California and last year ran for the Los Angel...More>>
    CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) -- The Nevada Supreme Court has upheld the removal of a state controller candidate from the June primary ballot because of his residency status.Justices unanimously agreed with a lower court ruling that Democratic candidate John Michael Schaefer is not qualified to run for the constitutional office.The secretary of state's office challenged Schaefer's eligibility after obtaining information that he was registered to vote in California and last year ran for the Los Angel...More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.