I-Team: Former Weatherman Accused of Stalking - 8 News NOW

John Frederick's Voicemails: Tape #1

John Frederick's Voicemails: Tape #2

Chief Investigative Reporter George Knapp and Photojournalist Matt Adams

I-Team: Former Weatherman Accused of Stalking

Posted: Updated:
John Fredericks John Fredericks

LAS VEGAS --John Fredericks had a 12-year career on the Las Vegas airwaves and was immensely popular, but he left Channel 3 some 11 months ago after a series of unusual events involving his dog.

According to a Las Vegas woman, who asked that her real name not be used, Fredericks played on her love of dogs to wrangle a date. That's when things got a little crazy and she was compelled to call the police.

The first of the phone calls placed by Fredericks were innocuous enough. He met “Jane” at AfroRomance.com, an interracial dating website. Using the nickname Jordato, Fredericks said he was looking for an African American woman to be his soul mate, and that he loves dogs and worships women. He sent an email to Jane and they met for coffee.

Read transcripts of the phone calls

Fredericks told Jane about Jordan, the weather dog that had died. “It was honestly a very passionate story and being a dog lover myself, I was immediately taken,” she said.

Jane says John wanted to meet her dog, and then invited her and her dog to his place to meet L.J., his new canine. Jane says things got a bit strange so 48 hours after meeting Fredericks, she decided that would be it. She would simply not take his calls anymore. “There were calls that came in maybe two to three times a day and I figured maybe he would wind down once I don't pick up. But it increased and then that next day I got literally 70 calls,” she said.

Jane didn't listen to the messages until learning her mailbox was full. That's when she first heard the emotional rollercoaster that played out on her machine.

This is how it went down on Friday, October 2nd:

At 9:32 a.m., a friendly request from Fredericks, “Hey good looking, what's cooking? I hope we are still on for date night.”

At 2:19 in the afternoon, the tone changes, “If I've done something to piss you off, just call me. Let me know what it is, alright? I want to hear from you. I miss you. You are my sweetheart.”

Seven minutes later, “This is ridiculous. I have no idea why you are treating me like this. Call me back. You are treating me like dog (expletive).”

And four minutes after that, “Hey there, just so you know, I will not contact you again. We are done.”

But Fredericks calls again -- at 3:07 p.m., 3:28 p.m., 3:36 p.m., 4:52 p.m., 4:55 p.m. and 5:02 p.m. At 5:09 p.m., the message got ugly, “I just want you to know, you are a very disturbed individual. I just wanted to make you aware of the consequences of stalking a public figure, which I still am. And if you don't call me back in an hour, I am going to contact the police. I'm going to give them your number and they are going to arrest you for stalking me.”

Of course, Jane had not contacted him whatsoever. “Then just total fright came into play. Oh my goodness, this guy has got to be out of his mind and I was with him. I took the time to go to his home,” she said.

But there were many more calls that same evening. “Hey it's 5:10. The cops are on their way to your house. They are going to arrest you for stalking me unless I call them off, so you better call me back immediately," he said.

At 5:30 p.m., Fredericks, who had bragged about being a board member of the Nevada SPCA, threatened to bring Jane's dog into it. “Just so you know, I have called the police and told them you are abusing your dog, Trump, and they are on their way over," he said.

More calls came in during the night, but by the next afternoon it was as if nothing had happened. “I have fallen head over heels for you. I miss you sweetheart. Call me. Let me know when you are coming over. Bye,” he said.

Jane didn't count them all but figures she received more than 100 calls. She finally phoned Fredericks and let him have it, reminding him that the messages had been recorded. “We went round in circles because he never seemed to get it -- that he had done anything wrong,” she said.

She told him to stop calling. The pace slowed but didn't stop. Days later, Fredericks left a graphic message, “Hey, uh, come (expletive) me, alright?”

That's when Jane went to Las Vegas police. She filed a complaint that Fredericks had been threatening her. A Metro detective phoned the ex-meteorologist and advised him to knock it off.

He did, for a few days. Then the calls started again.

A second, more forceful warning was issued by Metro and the calls have stopped, for now. Jane plans to be much more selective the next time she uses internet dating. “When someone reacts in a way that they have no self control, you never know what their capabilities are,” she said.

Jane says her next step is to seek a protective order to make sure she has options if it starts up again. She wanted the public to know about this misadventure because so many professional women use internet dating services without giving it much thought.

Calls and emails to John Fredericks were not returned.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.